Thursday, April 23, 2009

Cycle lanes Wellington!


Now I know that there is barely enough room on our roads for cars and parking let alone dedicated cycle lanes but come-on Wellington, surely there was enough space to put in a lane along Adelaide Rd outside the new Hospital?!?! All that time, planning and money you catered for in two lines of parked cars but no cycle lane, outrageous!


Instead we have to make do with the gripstrip on the road intended to help slow the cars down from 50km p/h to the new designated 40km p/h, great to help a car decrease in speed, not so great when you are whizzing along trying to stay ahead of the kamikaze buses riding your tail, trying to take out your teeth (going ass over tit over my handle bars and taking out my teeth are my #1 fear whilst riding in the city. Each bus I hear coming closely behind I wonder...."Is this is? Is this the bus that is going to smash my pearly whites in?" notaprettyimage!). They do however give you the advantage of being out ahead of the traffic, giving a little leadtime before the cars come in for the chase, hmmm.
The concession given to cyclists on the Adelaide Rd / Riddiford St intersection

I dream of flat, wide streets & cycle lanes zigzagging through parkland, protected lanes running along the motorway to encourage more commuter traffic... hang on isn't that Melbourne? You win this round.

No comments:

Post a Comment