Monday, April 20, 2009

Project (Run)Away

I have been looking for an old school 70's-80's ladies racing bike frame for a while now. I fancy myself a wee bit of a handy man and am keen on a fixer uper project to entertain me through the cold winter months ahead, ready to emerge triumphant in the spring with a sweet new ride which should be faster and lighter - better for commuting to and from work.

At present I have two options I am stalking on Trademe - both Healing 10speed ladies frames in need of a bit of TLC to ge them back to life. They have the usual points of wear; tyres, rims, seat, handle bar tape etc but so long as the frame is solid and rust-free we are good to go!


Option One: Currently in CHCH bidding stands at $1.50


Option two in New Plymouth reserve at $10 - no bids..... yet

The only problem is that both of these bikes are nowhere near Wellington - the fetching blue model is in Christchurch (the land of vintage bikes across the seas, torture!) and the red version is in New Plymouth, much more accessible from Wellington... especially seeing as I have enlisted the help of my bicycle enthusiast (perhaps thats where I get it from?!) papa to take a nice Sunday drive up from my home town of Wanganui a couple of hours odd north to New Plymouth to pick it up. It is a beautiful time of year to take a drive through the countyside with all the autumn leaves, it's a win -win situation!

Cramming it into my little car to get it back to Wellington and where I am going to store it in my already too-full-of-bikes home is a whole nother story! Stay tuned lets hope i dont become engaged in another bidding war (a-la my new Doc Martin boots which I had to tussle it out for.... back off bitch they're mine!)

My new (old) boots! A victory in the end




No comments:

Post a Comment